Like Us on Facebook!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Adventure?

It was kind of an adventure. Not the craziest expedition ever, but Evan (roommate/best lighting assistant ever) and I at least left the campus of UW, off to Westlake Center in search of a street drummer named Mike Day. I promised Mike I'd bring him some prints of the photos I took of him, but he wasn't even there!

On the upside, I ran into a past photo-subject named Rabbi E.B. David. I'd done photos with him before, but... that was before I knew how to take pictures. Of course, I'll probably be saying that again in about 6 months, but hey — I'm happy with what I got today.


I'd been wanting to try a combination of golden hour and actual lighting for a while, but never really had a good subject or location for it. I get kind of annoyed when photographers shoot at golden hour and use it as backlighting with no frontal light. It's kind of cliche, and the photo never pops, except for the golden highlights. I'm pleased with the way this looks though.

Here's one of the main shots of today:


Overall, it was a fun day, yielding good results. I tried to run up a down-going escalator at Westlake Station, and I almost made it! I tripped at the very top, and landed on safe ground, but I still ate it pretty hard. :P

Special thanks to Evan for accompanying me and helping me out moving the light around.



Mike Day, I'm going to find you, and I'm going to give you your prints. And you're going to like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment